2017 Liebster Award
A big Thank You to Elizabeth of OneDreamWriter.com, for awarding me with a 2017 Liebster Award. It is very exciting, and an honor, to be recognized. As a new blogger, I’ve spent the last several months learning how to traverse this new world of writing and sharing myself with the world. I appreciate hearing that others have enjoyed some of my efforts.
As part of the award, Elizabeth has asked me to answer the following questions.
If you could go back in time and tell your younger self something, what would you tell them? Or what’s the best bit of advice you’ve ever been given?
When I was in my 20’s, and a Stay at Home Mom, I believed that I had given up any chance of having a successful life. Throughout my high school years, I was told that in order to be successful, you must go to college, get a good degree and spend your 20’s building up a career. I believed that I had sacrificed all of that to be a mom.
What I found out in my 30’s was that you could go back and finish your degree, get that good job and have a great career. Basically, I didn’t sacrifice my life, or give up anything. I just lived my life a little bit out of the usual order.
The most important lesson, however, redefining what success is. I would not be happy if I still defined success as having a high paying career, fancy cars and a fancy house. My success is having a life where I get to travel and see the world, a comfortable existence not leveraged on debt, and the love of my family and small circle of friends.
Why did you start blogging?
I came to a major juncture in life where I finished the contract I was working under, and didn’t have anything else lined up. I really needed a break. The thought of starting over in another full-time career job didn’t really appeal to me. I wanted to find something that is flexible, and allows me to travel with my husband, and enjoy life.
Additionally, I’ve always wanted to help people, and wanted to share the years of life experience I have. So, when I told my kids and husband what I was thinking, they were full of ideas and suggestions, and completely on board.
Do you ever get “writer’s block”? And if so, how do you deal with it?
I usually step away from the computer. I go for a walk, do the dishes or read a book. Redirecting my mind usually unleashes the flood gates of words.
What’s your favorite animal and why?
I don’t really have a favorite animal. I enjoy observing animals in their natural habit. Whether that is sitting on my deck and watching the birds in my bird bath, checking out the deer and squirrels on a hike or swimming in the ocean. Some of my favorite time spent is being part of, and observing the beauty and wonder that Mother Nature provides.
What inspires/motivates you?
I have always had a desire to help others. The idea of sharing the lessons that I have learned, and passing on my experience so that it might make someone else’s life a little bit easier is what started my blog. It is also very important for me to provide something positive to the world. Whether it be advice, inspiration or life lessons, all of my posts are positive in nature.
The Liebster Award is about sharing the love, and passing it on to other bloggers. I would like to share this award with these bloggers, who have stepped out to share their wisdom, insight and stories on this journey of life.
- Ms. Nena B. Show motivates and encourages others to be positive in life. Her blog and podcasts are full of wisdom about being the best that you can be.
- Erin, of View From Our Terrace, is a stay at home mom who has the money and budgeting thing figured out. Her blog is full of tips and ideas about paying off debt, living within your means and living smarter.
- Mary & Brandie of Karmically Scripted share their stories of this journey of life. They are focused sharing stories of healing and empowerment.
- Sara, from Now Viewing The World, is a traveler. She shares her travels, as well as tips on how to do it more often!
- Tiere of Young + One writes about life as a single mom in D.C. She is sharing stories of parenthood, as well as enjoying the city she lives in.
My questions for these wonderful bloggers are:
- What do you feel most grateful for in your life?
- What is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
- What holds the top spot on your bucket list, and why?
- Who has been the most influential person in your life?
- What is your favorite book, and what does it mean to you?
The official rules for the Liebster Award can be found here.
Thanks, again to Elizabeth of One Dream Writer. Thank you also, to all of my family and friends who have supported me on this newest chapter of my life.