This recipe has been on my blogging “To Do” list for months. We actually make this quite often, but I never remember to get a picture of it before we eat it all up! Anyhow, my Thai Style Meatball Soup is based on the Nonya Meatball Curry recipe from a cookbook called 200 curries.
This soup is so easy to make. Plus, unlike so many other curry or soup recipes, it has just a few ingredients.
Meatball Soup Ingredients
- Meatballs: My Homemade Meatballs are perfect for this recipe. I actually like to keep an extra batch or two (pre-made) on hand just for this recipe.
- Fresh flavors come from Onions, Garlic & Ginger.
- Coconut Aminos provide a soy sauce flavor, without the soy or wheat found in soy sauce and tamari sauce.
- Dried Chilies provide a little kick of heat.
- A can of Tomatoes brings a little bit of acidity to the mixture, without a strong tomato taste.
- Coconut milk makes this super creamy, and filling!
The Cooking Process
The only time consuming part of this recipe is making the meatballs. If I’m making them just for Meatball Soup, I make them into walnut sized balls. Otherwise, I’ll use whatever I have already made from the freezer.
If you are making meatballs, just for this recipe, brown them in your pot first. Them pull them out, and cook the Onions, Garlic and Ginger in the remaining drippings. This is a great time to pull out the wok. It makes cooking up the meatballs a snap!
If you are using pre-made, frozen meatballs, add a little oil to the pan and clarify the Onions, Garlic and Ginger first. Then add in the rest of the ingredients for the soup.
Serving Your Thai Style Meatball Soup
We have recently discovered a recipe for Paleo Tortillas, from the Paleo Mama. We have gone so long without a simple tortilla, that they are a really nice treat. Plus, they are perfect for sopping up that little bit of extra in the bottom of the bowl. 🙂