Refreshing Beverages To Help You Stay Hydrated This Summer
If you’re like me, you’re eating salads and doing everything possible to stay cool this summer. Staying hydrated is very important when every minute spent outside is a veritable sweat fest. I have been drinking gallons of ice water, and an occasional Mai Tai. Since variety is the spice of life, I’ve been on the lookout for new Refreshing Beverages to help me keep my cool.
Sparkling water is one of my favorite refreshments. It brings the fizz of a soda, without all of the sugar. Plain, sparkling mineral water, such as S. Pellegrino, is delicious straight. However, it is also really good with a wedge of lime or lemon in it.
A couple of years ago I discovered LaCroix sparkling waters. These waters come in a huge variety of flavors, all derived from essential oils of the fruits named on the can. They don’t have any sugars, sodium or artificial ingredients. Plus, you can find them at your local Target or Grocery store. This summer, I’ve also found Dasani and Simply Balanced brands have similar waters.
One thing to watch for, however, is added sodium or other strange ingredients often found in club sodas or tonic waters. Make sure your sparkling water of choice will not do more harm than good.
Mixing Drinks With Sparkling Water
For a non-alcoholic twist create a 50/50 blend of your favorite juice with plain or flavored sparkling water. This will cut back on the sugar in the juice, while jazzing up the flavor of the water. Some of my favorite combinations are:
- Apple Juice and Plain Sparkling Water
- Orange Juice and either Plain or Citrus Flavored Sparkling Water
- Pineapple Juice with Coconut Flavored Sparkling Water
- Lime Juice (Just a squeeze, not 50/50) with Coconut Flavored Sparkling Water
Sparkling Water can also be used in alcoholic beverages. Since alcoholic beverages can be dehydrating, it makes sense to water them down a bit, without forgoing flavor. Some options include:
- Wine Spritzers
- Simply replace 1/4 – 1/2 of the wine with sparkling water
- Mixed Drinks
- Fizz up your favorite mixed drink with up to 50% sparkling water
This year, while in Hawaii, I found Coconut Rum. When mixed with sparkling water, and a couple of other ingredients, you have some amazing tropical beverages.
- Put the Lime in the Coconut
- In a tall glass filled with ice, add the juice of 1/2 lime, 1 can of flavored sparkling water (I like citrus flavors) and 2 oz Coconut Rum
- Pineapple Coconut Delight
- In a short glass filled with ice, add in 2-3 oz of pineapple juice, 1 oz coconut rum and top with sparkling water
- Citrus Coconut Delight
- In a short glass filled with ice, add in the juice of 1 whole orange or other citrus (tangerine, lime, etc), 1 oz coconut rum and top with sparkling water
Iced Tea & Coffee
I’m not a huge fan of iced tea. Growing up I watched my grandmas and aunties drink it all summer long, but I just never acquired a taste for it. That is, until I tried Thai Iced tea. This Refreshing Beverage is made from a strong brewed sweetened tea with half & half poured into it. Its cool, smooth, sweet and creamy.
Iced Coffees are usually a treat I save for when I spending a girl’s day out and about. They are a cinch to make up at home, with a little extra coffee brewed in the morning. However, I really love a good Iced Latte..Yum!
A Refreshing Beverages list would not be complete without the mention of Lemonade. My daughter is almost a lemonade connoisseur. She makes lemonade from scratch, preferring that to the powdered mixes. Her recipe is:
- 1 part sugar, 1 part lemon juice, 5 parts water.
Of course, you can mix up your lemonade, too. Fresh or frozen berries or cherries will give you a naturally pink lemonade, as well as some added nutrients. For an adult lemonade, add in some Blackberry liqueur.
Here’s to staying cool this summer!